Abdominal Bloating is when the abdomen feels tight and full, this occurs due to a build-up of gas somewhere in the gastro-intestinal tract. Abdominal bloating can cause for concern, especially hen is very painful with much discomfort. Some people usually notice that their belly looks swollen, and they may also experience sharp abdominal pain. But in many cases the causes of abdominal bloating may be indigestion or too much gas building up in the stomach and bowel. Some other causes of bloating include; constipation, gut sensitivity, eating disorder, diet gynaecological issues and menstruation. Abdominal bloating often resolves on its own, however it can cause some discomfort.
The following measures may help to reduce bloating:
- Avoid too much Chewing Gum: Because of the sugar alcohol in the gum this can cause bloating in some people, swallowing air while chewing gum may lead to bloating and gas. You can use ginger mints or pepper mints to refresh your breath instead of chewing gum.
- Reduce Salt intake: Excess salt intake can cause the body to retain water, this can lead to a swollen and bloated feeling in the belly and other areas of the body such as the hands and the feet.
- Exercise: Exercise helps your body move stool and gas out of the colon and may make the bowel movement more regular. Exercise also help to release extra sodium from the body through sweating, which can help relieve water retention. Note that it is very important to take plenty of water after exercising to stay hydrated as dehydration makes constipation worst.
- Take Enough Water Instead of Soda: carbonates and fizzy drinks contains gas that can build up in the stomach. The carbon dioxide that makes soda and similar beverages fizzy can cause bubbling and bloating in the stomach. Artificial sweeteners in diet can cause gas and bloating. Drinking enough water can help eliminate and treat constipation as well.
- Probiotics: Probiotics may help with repopulating healthy gut bacteria. According to one review probiotics have a moderate effect with a 70% agreement on it effect on bloating relief. Probiotics can be found in kefir and Greek yoghurt etc.
- Abdominal Massage: Massaging the abdomen can help in bowel movement. A massage that follow the path of the large intestine can be very helpful. You can follow the steps below on how to give your belly a massage.
- Place your hand above your right hip bone
- Rubbing in a circular motion with light pressure up toward the right side of the ribcage.
- Rubbing straight across the upper belly area toward the left ribcage.
- Moving Slowly down toward the left hip bone.
Repeat as necessary.
Discontinue immediately if you notice any pain as result of any pain from the massage.
- Take a Warm Relaxing Bath: The heat from the warm water during a bath can provide relief for a sore abdomen. Relaxation can reduce stress levels which may allow the gastro-intestinal tract to function more effectively and help reduce abdominal bloating.
- Try Some herbal Remedies: When dealing with abdominal bloating you can try eating some ginger or drinking a cup of peppermint tea can help relieve you from abdominal bloating. Ginger may also help with gastro-intestinal symptoms such as bloating and constipation.