The Lungs helps our body to take in Oxygen and release carbon dioxide, the lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (Thorax). The trachea (windpipe) conducts inhaled air into the lungs through its tubular branches, called the bronchi. The bronchi are divided into smaller branches called bronchioles. Cigarette smoke, air pollutant and other toxins damage the lungs and theses can cause serious health conditions. Keeping the lungs healthy is very important in keeping other parts of the body healthy. Our lungs are mostly self-cleansing organs on their own, but there are certain things you can do to help the lungs function at a better level. Cleaning the lungs be helpful for those with certain health conditions that can cause difficulty in breathing such as asthma, cystic fibrosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cleansing the lungs may also be helpful for heavy smokers.
Ways to cleanse the lungs are as follows:
- Green Tea: Green tea contains many antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation in the lung, these compounds may help protect the lungs tissues from harmful effects of smoke inhalation. According to a study done in Korea involving over 1,000 adults, the report suggested that those, that take at least two cups of green tea per day had better lung functions than those that don’t take green tea.
- Eliminate Artificial Fragrances: According to some people using artificial scent makes the home smell nice with air fresheners or wax candle warmers but these fragrances might contain harmful chemicals that can cause some level of irritation to the lungs. Instead replace all artificial fragrances with other natural products that are free off harmful chemicals if possible.
- Steam Inhalation: Steam inhalation involves inhaling water vapour from hot or warm water to open the airways and help the lungs drain mucus. Some people with lung condition may notice their symptoms get worst in cold or dry air due to climate change and that can cause the mucus membrane to dry out in the airways that can restrict blood flow. Steaming adds warmth and moisture to the airways, which may improve breathing and help loosen mucus inside the airways and lungs. Inhaling water vapor can provide fast relief and help people breath more easily. Although more research need to done to understand the benefits of steam inhalation therapy on the lungs.
- Breath in Fresh Air: One way to get more fresh air is by spending more time outside the house, this way you can get enough air that can help expand the tissues in the lungs and keep them working properly. Avoid exercising in when the environment is polluted with burning trash, burning woods or other types of smoke that can be harmful to the lungs. Alternatively, you can use air filter mask if the environment is polluted with smoke before exercising outside
- Practice Aerobic Exercises: Practicing regular aerobic exercise routine activities can help the lungs health to improve. Such aerobic exercise includes:
- Sports like tennis
Note: Those with chronic lung condition should consult with their doctors before starting any exercise routine.
- Anti-inflammatory foods: Inflammation of the airways can make breathing very difficult and these can cause the chest to feel congested and heavy. Eating anti-inflammatory food can help reduce inflammation to relief the symptoms. Foods that help fight inflammation includes:
- Leafy green