Cinnamon is a spice obtained from a plant belonging to the genus Cinnamomum. Cinnamon bark, leaves, fruits, flowers and roots are used to obtain essential oil that are useful for medicine and food. Cinnamon has been used as a herbal remedy to treat many health issues, it is also a food spice or a natural preservative due to its anti-bacterial properties. While honey is a natural sweetening agent s produced by honey bees, using flower nectar, secretion from living parts of plant or excretion from plant sap sucking insects such as aphids. Honey is a popular natural compound used in traditional home remedies and Ayurvedic medicinal system, and it has a long history of being used in treatment of various infections. Both honey and cinnamon have many multiple health benefits on its own. However, some believe that combining both cinnamon and honey has more benefits. While these two ingredients have plenty of health benefits, not all the claims about combining the two have been proven by science.
The two major types of cinnamon
- Ceylon cinnamon: this type of cinnamon is called the “true cinnamon” it is much difficult to find and they are slightly sweeter in taste than the Cassia cinnamon.
- Cassia cinnamon: They are known as Chinese cinnamon; this is the most popular one that can be found in the market and it is less expensive.
Health benefits of cinnamon and honey
- Help get rid of bad breath: The presence of propolis in honey helps with bad breath problems, it also has a strong anti-inflammatory property that can help in healing the gum and teeth from any infection. Using honey on your teeth helps to control the spread of harmful bacteria inside the mouth. Gaggling with honey and cinnamon mix with warm water helps to get rid of foul breath. Do it at least twice a week for a period of time for a good result.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease: Honey and cinnamon are both used to reduce cholesterol levels and thus producing additional protection to your heart. A possible high cholesterol level (LDL or “bad” cholesterol) can cause atherosclerosis or plaque build up on the walls of the arteries and vessels thereby increasing the chances of a clot forming that can result to a heart attack.
- Helps to boost immunity: Regular intake of honey and cinnamon mix is believed to boost immunity level. Cinnamon and honey are rich in anti-bacterial and antioxidants properties that helps to improve the digestive system and strengthen it to fight against various illnesses and ailments.
- Packed with antioxidants: Cinnamon and honey are both excellent sources of antioxidants, which have multiple health benefits. Antioxidants are substance that protect you from unstable molecules called free radicals which can damage the cells. Honey is rich in phenol antioxidants which have been associated with decrease risk of heart diseases. While cinnamon is also an antioxidant powerhouse, among other spices cinnamon contains high amount of antioxidant. Taking cinnamon and honey together can give a powerful dose of antioxidants.
- Help with healing of wounds: Honey has been shown to heal wounds including foot ulcers caused by complication of diabetes. Cinnamon may also help to heal wounds. According to www.webmd.com a test tube study found that cinnamon oil help to protect wounds against antibiotic resistant bacteria. However, there is need for further study to determine whether this effect would be helpful.
- Helps to relieve cough: Respiratory infection can adversely affect the quality of life of anyone who suffers from them. Moderate consumption of pure honey and cinnamon has been proven by some individuals to reduce coughing. Having raw honey and cinnamon alleviate a cough and reduce the symptoms which helps you sleep better.
- Helps to relieve arthritis pain: Cinnamaldehyde, a component in cinnamon is effective in suppressing pro-inflammatory proteins, massaging a paste of honey and cinnamon into an inflamed joint can assist with easing pains and swellings. You can make a paste of combining powdered cinnamon and honey.
- Helps with Indigestion and gastric issues: Honey has helps with indigestion and gastrointestinal issue, since ancient time honey has been used as a home remedy to relieve digestive issues, this is because honey helps the membrane of the digestive tract. Honey stops the growth of Helicobacter pylori, which is suppose to be the major cause of indigestion. A mixture of honey and cinnamon helps to relieve heart burn and stomach cramps, cinnamon has also been found to lower stomach temperature, it reduces stomach gas by decreasing the secretion of gastric acid from the stomach walls.